Call For Submissions
Resonator: New Lovecraftian Tales From Beyond
Deadline: November 15, 2014
Payment: Token payment of $10CDN, as well as copies of the anthology in all electronic formats (mobi, EPUB, and PDF) and copies of three additional Martian Migraine Press titles of the authors choosing.
“With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos, yet other beings with a wider, stronger, or different range of senses might not only see very differently the things we see, but might see and study whole worlds of matter, energy, and life which lie close at hand … I have always believed that such strange, inaccessible worlds exist at our very elbows, and now I believe I have found a way to break down the barriers!”
– H. P. Lovecraft, From Beyond (1920)
[dramatically, to camera]
“It ate him … bit off his head … like a gingerbread man!”
– Jeffrey Combs as ‘Crawford Tillinghast’ in Stuart Gordon’s From Beyond (1986)
In his classic story From Beyond, Howard Phillips Lovecraft introduced the Tillinghast Resonator: a monstrous device that stimulates dormant senses in man, opens up unseen worlds to unsuspecting eyes, and calls through terror and ecstasy from a realm far beyond our mundane perceptions. This is an open call for submissions to the third anthology from Martian Migraine Press…
RESONATOR: New Lovecraftian Tales From Beyond
We want to see weird fiction with the Tillinghast Resonator (and machines or processes like it) as inspiration. What creatures, both mindless and sentient, are revealed in its uncanny radiation? What worlds may be opened up to the user with the slightest change in frequency? What profit, what peril, what power and pleasure may be derived from its use? We want to see new and startling applications of Tillinghast Resonator technology, be introduced to bizarre new entities with motives and mentalities that beggar the imagination, and experience psychedelic perceptions in prose. We also wouldn’t mind clever riffs on the campy-cult goodness of Mr Gordon’s film! Mind-blasting horror, black humour, high-frequency kinkiness, and cosmic enlightenment are all part of the game when the Resonator powers up! So turn on the juice, brace your pineal gland for some unprecedented growth, and get ready to go BEYOND!
- word count no more than 5K. We will look at stories over this limit, but please inquire first. We’d also be interested in seeing flash fiction (under 1500 words)
- all submissions must be in Standard Manuscript Format: double-spaced, no space between paragraphs, 12pt Courier New or Times New Roman, header on first page with your name, address, and contact information as well as word count, header on every other page with your last name / name of story / page number
- we prefer RTF or DOC files
- we are interested in both original work and reprints
- please, NO SIMULTANEOUS SUBMISSIONS
- final count for the ToC will be 20 stories, released as an ebook in multiple formats, with a possible print run in the future, dependent on a positive reception of the electronic version
- to submit a story to RESONATOR: New Lovecraftian Tales From Beyond, send an e-mail (with the story file attached, not in the body of the email) to:firstname.lastname@example.org, with subject line: RESONATOR, title of your story, and your name.
All accepted submissions will be paid a token payment of $10CDN, as well as copies of the anthology in all electronic formats (mobi, EPUB, and PDF) and copies of three additional Martian Migraine Press titles of the authors choosing.
We will try to acknowledge receipt of your submission within a week of its arrival in our inbox. The submission period itself will close on November 15, 2014 and we should be responding to all submissions, yay or nay, by early December 2014. If you haven’t heard from us by December 15, 2014, please query.